Runaway Bay Saturday Challenge 2022
- Sep 3, 2022
- Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
- Lae Drive, Runaway Bay, Qld
- Speedcubing Australia and Vicki Otsu
- WCA Delegates
- Bryan Eng, Ethan Pride, and Kerrie Jarman
- Download all the competition's details as PDF .
This is a series competition alongside Runaway Bay Sunday Challenge 2022 . You will be permitted to compete at ONLY ONE of the two competitions. If you register for both, your registration will only be accepted for one of the competitions. Please note that each competition has a different set of events.
- Main event
- Registration period
Online registration opened and closed .
- Registration requirements
This competition is over, click here to display the registration requirements it used.Create a WCA account here if you don't have one.
If this is not your first competition, associate your WCA ID to your WCA account here.
Register for this competition here.
There is a competitor limit of 120 competitors.
The base registration fee for this competition is $20 (Australian Dollar).
If your registration is cancelled before you will be refunded 100% of your registration fee.
Registrants on the waiting list may be accepted onto the competitor list until .
If you are a registered competitor you may change your registered events until on the Register tab.
No on the spot registrations will be accepted.
Any spectator can attend for free.
Upon registering you will receive an email stating “Your registration for Runaway Bay Saturday Challenge 2022 is submitted and pending approval”. This does NOT mean that you are on the registration list. Competitors will not be approved until payment has been made.
Please ensure you have paid the registration fees via Stripe on the register page. Your registration is not complete and will not be processed until you have paid the $20 registration fee. Contact the organisational team if you encounter an issue.
- Once the competitor limit of 120 has filled, the waiting list will be opened.
- You must pay the $20 registration fee to be added to the waiting list.
- New registrations will be added to a waitlist and sorted in the order of payment.
- Waitlisted competitors will only be added to the competition if an existing competitors withdraws.
- All competitors still on the waiting list after 26/08/2022 will be removed and provided with a full refund.
- You may enquire about your position on the waiting list by contacting the organisational team.
- If you can no longer make the competition you may request a refund.
- To receive a full refund you must contact the organisational team by 26/08/2022.
- Withdrawing enables us to maximise attendance and for competitors on the waiting list to attend.
- Refunds will only be issued after this date if you or your guardian test positive to COVID-19 and are forced to isolate.
You may change the events you are registered on the Register tab by 26/08/2022. After this date it is not possible to add further events. It is also acceptable to not show up for any event you do not wish to compete in.
This competition will comply with the Queensland Government requirements in place at the time of the competition. Please see the FAQ tab for any COVID requirements, which may change closer to the competition.
- Once the competitor limit of 120 has filled, the waiting list will be opened.
Click here to display the highlights of the competition.
|3x3x3 Cube||First round||Ao5||5:00.00||Top 80 advance to next round|
|Second round||Ao5||5:00.00||Top 20 advance to next round|
|Pyraminx||First round||Ao5||2:00.00||Top 20 advance to next round|
|Skewb||First round||Ao5||2:00.00||Top 20 advance to next round|
|Square-1||Final||Bo2 / Ao5||1:30.00||2 attempts to get < 40.00|
You are viewing the schedule for the venue Runaway Bay Community Centre.
The schedule is displayed in the timezone Australia/Brisbane.
Add to calendar
Schedule for Saturday (September 03, 2022)
Spectators are permitted and may enter FREE of charge.
We encourage spectators and it is often good to come watch first to understand how a competition operates. You will then know what to do when you do compete. There are also plenty of opportunities to get involved as a volunteer. If you would a judging tutorial please approach a Delegate, they will be wearing the bright red polo shirts.
No tickets are required but we ask you to avoid the busy early morning period.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. How can I change my events?
You must make any change to your registered events by 26/08/2022. You can change your events via the competition registration page.
Q. What time should I arrive at the competition?
You should arrive for registration at 9.00-9.50am. You should be at the venue ready to compete 30 minutes before you are scheduled. Sometimes we run ahead and if you are not available for your group you most likely will not be permitted to join a later group. Please note the schedule is subject to change on the day.
Q. How old do I have to be to compete?
Anyone can compete at any age! We encourage anyone considering to compete to register as it will be a great experience regardless of age.
Q. How fast do I have to be to compete?
To compete you only need to know how to solve the cube! Please check the events tab for information in time limits for each event.
Q. What do I need to know before the competition day?
Before attending you should have read and understood the WCA regulations . We also recommend that you watch this helpful competitor guide and read this competition tutorial. You should also know when your events are scheduled throughout the day.
Q. How do I find out if I've progressed to the second round?
Times will be uploaded through the day onto WCA Live. Please allow up to an hour from finishing your solves to them being uploaded. After all the times of a round has been entered, you can see if you are in the following round.
Q. Who can I ask for help on the day?
Your Delegates for this competition are Kerrie Jarman and Myles Jarman, feel free to ask them any questions you may have on the day.
Q. Can I help on the day?
Of course! Throughout the day we will need judges and runners so please see our Delegates to ask how you can best assist.
Q. How do I find out about other upcoming competitions in Australia?
You can find out about upcoming competitions in Australia by signing up to the Speedcubing Australia mailing list.
Q. Where can I ask other questions?
The organisational team can answer all your questions.
Q. What COVID safety protocols will be in place?
The competition will adhere to Queensland Government COVID restrictions in place at the time. We will email competitors if there are any changes to the COVID restrictions we will be running this competition under.
You MUST NOT attend if you are:
- unwell with any COVID symptoms
- been directed to isolate by QLD Health
- awaiting the results of a COVID-19 test
Q. Can I get a refund if I am isolating?
Yes, if you are in isolation you will be eligible for a refund of your registration fees. You must email us before the competition begins.
Q. Do I have to wear a face mask?
Masks are highly recommended
Q. Can I bring my own face mask and/or hand sanitiser?
Yes, it is recommended that you bring your own face mask and hand sanitiser. Hand sanitiser will be provided at the venue.
Q. Where can I ask other questions?
Please contact the organisational team.
Runaway Bay Community Centre, Lae Drive, Runaway Bay 4216
From Brisbane, it takes approximately 55 minutes. Take M1 to Gold Coast Hwy/State Route 2 in Helensvale. Take exit 62 from M1. Continue on Gold Coast Hwy/State Route 2 to your destination in Runaway Bay.
From Gold Coast airport, get on M1 in Currumbin Waters from Gold Coast Hwy/State Route 2 and Tugun Currumbin Rd. Follow M1 to Smith St in Gaven. Take exit 66 from M1. Take Napper Rd, Captain Cook Dr, Pine Ridge Rd and Lae Dr to your destination in Runaway Bay.
Car parking facilities
There are plenty of accessible parking spaces
Walking distance to Runaway Bay Centre Shopping Mall https://www.runawaybaycentre.com.au/
Live results will be provided via WCALive. It may take up to an hour between times being set and them appearing online.
Being Father's Day weekend, there will be an optional unofficial event at this comp for a bit of fun and something different!
Of course, results from this event will not be recorded in your WCA profile, and although there will be healthy competition, the main purpose is to have fun and do something new.
Team Blind Guidelines
Family Team Blind is an event where a team of two "related" competitors cooperatively solve the 3x3 cube. One competitor, the "caller," communicates what moves to do to the other competitor, the "solver," who performs the moves.
* the child should be the solver and the parent/guardian should be the caller
* the caller does NOT need to be a registered speedcuber (even better if they are not!)
* There is a cumlative 15 minute time limit and the format is BO3 (best of 3 solves)
* "Family" is a loose term and can be parent, aunt, uncle, guardian, grandparent etc (we won't be checking birth certificates)
* Judges decisions are final
Instructions for Team Blind
We will follow the WCA Regulations as best as possible. The relevant changes are:
Starting/Stopping the solve
1. The solver must have a blindfold on before the inspection period begins.
2. The competitors will be given the usual 15 seconds of inspection with warnings at 8 and 12. Both members can touch the cube during this time and both competitors can communicate
3. Only the solver may start/stop the timer.
During the solve
1. Unlike blindfold solving, no paper will be placed between the solver and the cube. Because of this, the solver should place the cube so that the blindfold is clearly obstructing the line of sight, but this will not be enforced. Competitors who violate this rule and peek out from the blindfold will be disqualified, as expected.
2. Both competitors may talk to each other (and the judge) during the solve, but not to anyone else.
3. At no point during the solve can the caller touch the cube.
4. Please speak at a reasonable volume during the solve and try not to eavesdrop on other pairs!
Once again, the purpose of this event is just for fun! We hope people will have a fair and positive attitude and not take it too seriously :)
Thank you to the Gold Coast Council for their sponsorship of this competition
Speedcubing Australia sells hoodies, t-shirts and caps - printed on demand and sent to your door
The first rounds of all events will be run in pre-determined fixed seated groups. It is important that you know which groups of each event you are in.
You can find an individual schedule here. Each competitor will be provided with a printed copy of their invididual group assignments at registration.
Throughout the competition we will also need judges, runners and scramblers. All competitiors will need to do some judging at the bare minimum, usually in other groups of your events, the more events you do the more your will need to help out. If you don't know how to help please come and ask, there is almost always something for you to do.
If you have any questions about the groups please contact us here
If you reach the time limit during your solve, the judge will stop you and your result will be DNF (see Regulation A1a4).
The result to beat to proceed to the second phase of a cutoff round (see Regulation 9g).
The format describes how to determine the ranking of competitors based on their results. The list of allowed formats per event is described in Regulation 9b. See Regulation 9f for a description of each format.